Thursday, December 29, 2011

To start...

Ok so this is my very first post and blog for that matter. But I actually wanted to start one to have something to connect all my recreations from pinterest with for those who repin. So to start off this new deal, I will post my first creation (of many since I'm on Christmas break, I got time to kill or crafts to .. craft? Along with food to make!) Anyways..on pinterest I saw a really neat idea to make reusable paper towels, because I'm definitely one of those people who grabs a paper towel to dry off my hands when I could have just used a towel. So while I'll still probably use cheapo paper towels for the "big" messes or cleaning the apartment, I just couldn't resist making these cute towels. Plus I had to try something on my new sewing machine :)




This is how it turned out. I actually used flannel for the outside and then regular cotton fabric on the other. I've seen others that used birdseye, which is fabric like what they make reusable diapers or diaper cloths out of. I also purchased a snap puncher thing (ya..I don't know what it's called) but it's a handle tool that is used to apply metal snaps. Otherwise you could buy snaps that you could sew in. Or even easier you could use velcro. That would be the cheaper and easier route, since putting in these snaps took skills that I still have not mastered. All in all, it took me about a day or two to complete (since I needed more snaps) and looks pretty cute if I do say so myself! :) 

Here's a few extra pictures of the towels. And how I attached them to a cardboard roll with elastic and snaps. 


 The Picture above is what I attach my towels to. I just used elastic and put snaps on them so that each towel could attach to and  be continually attached to each other and then rolled up together.


8 comments:

  1. This is fantastic and meets my need to develop a containment for all the individual napkin sets I made to meet the same need.....adding snaps solves a storage issue and convenience problem! awesome idea. Now I have to learn how to add the snaps. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool idea. This is one area that I just can't seem to get rid of the paper. I don't understand the snaps. Do you snap the towels together when they are on the holder? These are so cute, I'm not sure that I could use one to clean off the fridge or stove (I now use paper for those) ! :) And if you only do wash once a week, how many would I have to make ?? Congratulations on your blog by the way. I hope you find a lot of success with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you share your pinterest link? I would love to follow your pins! Thanks! This is super cute btw. good luck with your blog.
    http://pinterest.com/jonesmom/

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ stefanie - I've only made 6 towels so far on this roll, but more can be added. So I'd say I use a towel or 2 a day. Each paper towel has two snaps at each end which snaps onto another towel. I laid all the towels out, snapped them together, and then rolled them onto a paper towel roll. The reusable paper towels that I saw used an old paper towel roll, I started with that, but found a thicker roll. Even wrapping paper rolls would be more sturdy, and if you wanted to get real crazy you could cut a piece of PVC piping that would work great! I'll post other pictures for you! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Julie - http://pinterest.com/skarsky3/ This is my pinterest..I'm addicted! I'll be following you as well! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So Smart, and so good for mother earth. I'm giving it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this would work well with single layers of thick flannel zigzag hemmed on all four edges and and held together with velcro. I would use no sew velcro on the pvc pipe to attach the towels.

    ReplyDelete